Monday, July 12, 2010

I'm just going to continue to pictures of stuff I'm doing

When I slow down, I get restless. Between work and other obligations, my summer is slowly being eaten up. But it's okay. It's a full, fun summer and I'm learning a lot about myself, strangely.
For instance, I've found that I have a more willpower than I expected. At least, that's what the cheesecake sitting in my fridge has been telling me.
Anyway, restlessness. So I find myself spending my precious free time being really productive, at least creatively. It's nice. I'm making things that I have been meaning to work on for months.

For example:



This is the case I made for my parasol. I don't know why I did it. I guess I just love the idea of a long thin case stuck under my arm. And it's lacy and pretty, what's not to like? Now the sun has permission to come out, so I can use this thing.



I've been trying to be a good little socialite lately. It's not working out very well. I forget to email people back. Or arrange things properly. And when people call me, I have to explain each little busy moment. I think sometimes they don't believe me. Which is understandable, when they then log on and see a bunch of photos of hats I've been making, I guess.

Working on a short story right now. I have one scene left to write, and is by far the most pivotal and delicate. I have to be very careful. I won't post it here. It's about fourteen pages long right now and I don't want to bore anyone. I still have to do a lot of editing as well. There are still some snags. The female protagonist is named Sydney Jones. I love her and her name. But y'know, you're supposed. And the main protagonist is Adrian Cleary. By far the main character. But I'm not all that into the name. Sounds like a pretty boy. It does sound like someone I know. Actor maybe.

Oh. Maybe that's why. Huh

Anyway, I'm just struck by how much I suit a writerly lifestyle. I love getting up in the morning and writing for a few hours, refilling my coffee cup as needed. I enjoy being self motivated. Setting goals for myself. "I'll write 1,000 words and then I'll take a break". I know that being a writer isn't a likely occupation for me; it's so determined by luck and aggressiveness, but sometimes, I really wish it was more possible.

The kittens have opened their eyes. I suppose now they'll start being a little more active. They're lazy for now. There's this one, that whenever I try to pick it up, it start yowling and screeching. Thus, I've started calling it the "Screamer", though usually with a prefix of swearing.



There is a little tabby one, though, that I quite like. I mean it's quiet. And it's still a cat, so don't get any ideas. But, y'know, it's pretty nice. Sort of.

2 comments:

Demi said...

I can't believe you haven't completely fallen in love with those kittens yet. I mean they're BABY animals, for christ's sake!!!

ANywho, I need to get up to your place to see them, and you need to get down to my place, because... just because. I miss you. I know exactly what you mean about scheduling though. I mean, I am supposed to be doing three different things Friday night!

Oh well... We will figure it out.

Kaitlin Backus said...

I really really really want to read a book of yours!! I love the short stories you post on here.