Sunday, April 19, 2009

My Review of Ten things I Hate About You




I watched this movie on youtube this weekend. I'm not crazy about the romantic comedy genre (Love Actually notwithstanding), but with sterling reviews from all of my friends, I figured, it couldn't be that bad.

And now, because I don't really have any good blog fodder up my sleeve, I'm going to review it for you.

The Bad

Andrew Keegan (Joey): A typical asinine jerk that everyone falls for. Not a very realistic character, though. In reality, if someone is a asinine jerk , they'll at least try to cover it up. If they don't, nobody dates them. They are not coveted. Also, I think there was something majorly wrong with his make-up.

Heath Ledger's Singing: His acting during the singing scene was superb. Truly laugh-out- loud funny. He just doesn't sing the song that well. The pitchiness was kind of distracting. I know I'm nit-picking. Sorry.

The Cliche: The fact that there was even a senior prom mentioned in the movies suggested that there was going to be some cliche moments. I can kind of forgive that, since I was expecting it, but then there were other tired scenes in the movie that kind of got to me. The almost-kiss-in-the-car scene, the "I'll tell you a secret, if you tell me one of yours" sequence. The song dedication. Stuff like that. Not entirely unexpected, but a bit of a disappointment

The Good


Heath Ledger (Patrick): was adorable, in a "I'm-trying-to-be-tough-but-my-smile-is-too-nice-for-that" sort of way. I loved the scene where he sings, "Can't Take Eye Off of You" to Kat (Even though the singing wasn't, as mentioned, very good), and the scene when he watches Kat in the guitar store. He was a solid character, flawed enough to be realistic, but not angsty. I loved the way he held Kat's face, and touched her hair.

Julia Stiles (Kat): Julia Stiles did a good job of creating a sympathetic character. Even though a lot of the scenes where she was unhappy were written badly, she still managed to exude authentic vulnerability. It also helped that she is a really good dancer. And that she was in the Bourne Trilogy.


David Krumholtz (Michael): Because he was in Serenity, a much better movie.

Larisa Oleynik (Bianca): I know you were supposed to dislike her for most of the film, but she was in the end, one of my favorite characters. She was sweet and naive. She had a typical popular girl role, but she made it interesting.

I guess all in all, I liked the movie. It was funny and the characters were likable. There are worse ways to spend two hours of your life.





2 comments:

Emma said...

I just have to say- because you mentioned his smile- that I love his smile so much. It almost looks like his face is tensing when he isn't smiling, like it takes effort for him not to smile, and then when he does it is the single most natural thing I've ever seen, the way it just stretches across his face.

Miss Pip said...

Yeah, he did have a really natural, warm smile.