Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Music Patterns

So I go through these patterns annually. I listen to certain artists at certain points during the year. It's striking what a subconscious reaction it is.

I was on the bus the other day, and it was sunny. The kind of sunny that makes the air cleaner and everything look shiny. Finally beginning to feel like summer could be a possibility. I was listening to my iPod, like I do every morning. I found myself inexplicably listening to songs by Imogen Heap. ( I love her. Never been disappointed by anything I've heard from her). I was struck by how adamantly I wanted to listen to Heap's music.

And then I remembered back to last year, the week before Easter. I had been listening to Imogen Heap then too. And the year before.

The choices my brain makes are so specific, that I could tell every you every particular artist from every month. Tori Amos and Damien Rice in December. Sufjan Stevens in November. Joanna Newsom in March. It's a very strange phenomenon. Does it happen to any of you?

This Sunday is Easter. I am so excited. We get to go on my father's Easter egg hunt. It's usually takes about eight hours to complete. It's really not even an Easter Egg hunt. More just like a hunt through various cities following a trail of clues that my Dad has left for us. It just happens to take place on Easter. Anyway, Dad's been spending a lot of time mysteriously running off to craft supply stores, so I know he's working on it. It will be beautiful. And clever. Maybe this year I'll post some pictures from the actual hunt, now that I'm computer savvy enough to know how to post photos.


Speaking of computer savvy; I am really surprised how much I am learning in my digitools. I mean, there are redundancies. I know way too much about inserting a picture from the internet into a word document. But I'm also learning stuff about publisher and photoshop and excel. The teacher is Ms. Hilmer, this adorable little instructor. She's completely organized all the time. It makes me a little bit jealous, to be honest. Everything is laid out before class, and almost all questions are answered on the worksheet. There is a clear goal to each lesson. It's efficient, in a word.


I kind of resented the required Digitools class at first, but over time I've really grown to like it. Just not microtype. Microtype still sucks.



4 comments:

TYLER said...

I.... HATE.... DIGITOOLS! (insert my moaning and vocalization of pain)- Thats how I react to Micro type.

I don't mind the other digitools elements though. Publisher and word are fun!


We are mrs. Hilmers fan club

--

Your easter egg hunts sound amazing. Your family is by far the coolest family I know. I just need to get my family less... ghetto fab.

--

I LISTEN TO MUSIC IN PHASES TOO! However I am just entering my sufjan phase. I listen to him alot, but during the summer time he is ALL I listen to. I was hoping to hear some new stuff by him by May. Not going to happen

--

also, this post was quite random. No real point. Unless Im missing it.

Miss Pip said...

Yeah it was pretty random. I was just kind of talking about stuff that I was noticing, and feeling.

And your family is utterly wonderful, just as they are.

Anonymous said...

i hate mrs hitler, i mean hilmer

Anonymous said...

hitler,himmler,hilmer