Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Ten Great Things About This Week

1. Getting "Definitely Maybe" from Netflix. Mum watching it on the couch, finally getting to sit down, and me sitting on the floor, drinking my tea, and telling her when the good parts are coming up.

2. Winning the forum election in my humanities class, alongside my other fabulous teammates. I got to wear a bowler hat and a moustache. What's not to love?

3. Learning music in orchestra that I love, and that I want to get better at. There's stuff that I at first was leery of, but am slowly beginning to understand and accept. They are going to be beautiful things, these pieces.

4. New bad ass characters that run around a futuristic, steampunk cities in the dead of
night, plastering corrupt governmental propaganda posters over brick walls and hiding from violent rebel splinter groups.

5. Two new skirts. One floral rayon, the other tan linen. Both long and A-line. Unfortunately, I still need some more clothing. Everything in my closet has been on repeat for the last three months.

6. Tall Skinny Vanilla Lattes from Starbucks. Specifically money to buy them. And the time to go and order them between 7th and 8th period.

7. Rediscovering music because it is spring and I'm sifting through stuff I haven't listened to for months. Rock on Yann Tiersen! And thank god for the new Joanna Newsom album.

8. The grape hyacinth and daffodils that have started blooming next to each other on the UWT campus. It's hard not to want to pick them. They are the perfect color combination. Spring in one singular image.

9. The appearance of cadbury mini-eggs on candy shelves in every grocery store. Only now can spring truly be here. They too are a picture of Spring and the fairer months.

10. Good heavy books by Scott Westerfield that I am suddenly itching to pick up and read in their entirety.

6 comments:

Demi said...

Oh, Scott Westerfield, I do love you.

This week was a good week, wasn't it?

I dare say it was.

Anonymous said...

"Futuristic, steampunk" is an oxymoron, as steampunk is based on Victorian-era technology.

-Stuart

Anonymous said...

this is exactly what I needed, to read this. It is positive. If it doesn't bother you, might I also use your topic and write a 10 Great Things about my week? because I think I need to search for some positive and realize there is some, even in dark days.

though I do hate to sound as if I am copying you. In truth, it would be, but the reasons for doing it are so much greater than most people's who steal fantastic thoughts from others.

Demi said...

Actually, the steampunk genre is based on Victorian aesthetic with steam powered equipment inspired by fantastical, and futuristic gadgets. So, technically, "Futuristic, steampunk" is not at all an oxymoron. Rather, it is a lively, explanatory combination of words.

Kaitlin Backus said...

Cadbury Mini eggs! Those are the high light of my LIFE.

:)

Miss Pip said...

Allison, please feel free to do a 10 Great Things list! I would love to read your version.