Sunday, August 02, 2009

Up and away..

Last week I went to orchestra camp. Because I am a cellist and that is what cellists do sometimes.
The camp was held in the eastern part of my state, which was different from last years camp. Super hot there, and really dry. I realized quite quickly that I needed to wake up and understand that elbow length sleeves and knee high legging were not, in fact, summer worthy clothing. I stupidly didn't bring a fan either, because I didn't anticipate the un-air-conditioned dorms.
Remind me not to do that next year, okay?
My roommate will remain nameless, so I can respect her privacy. But I want you to know that she is an absolute jewel of a person. Consistently and honestly kind and brave and concerned. She was the best person a girl like me could be roomed with. She laughed when I laughed, without a hint of condescension. She was tidy, and didn't mind when my alarm clock went off at absurdly early hours. She was as dedicated to music as I was, and understood when I would decide to skip breakfast and go practice.
Understood it so well in fact, that she loyally followed me up to the music building and practiced with me.
I cannot tell you how much I appreciated having her with me. She is a remarkable person.
We played English and Scandinavian music to kick off the Youth Symphony season. Did I mention that the camp was run by the symphony? Well, it was, and I was so glad to be in an orchestral setting again. I miss it so much after the season ends in May. The camp helps tide me over until September, when we start up again. The music was the reason I went to camp, and it didn't disappoint. Our final concert was fantastic, and we managed to get the work of four months done in one exhausting week.
I was reunited with my friends from last year's camp and it was like the year that we spent apart didn't exist, we picked up right where we left off, and it was lovely to see them. Most of them were in the other, more advanced orchestra, but we ate with each other and spent our free time (Which there was little off) together always. They were all so good to me. And Logan, stubborn and excited Logan, came with me, offering up a familiarity that I relied on adamantly. They all protected me when my bitch of a stand partner frightened me to a point of hysteria. They stood by me, even when it inconvenienced them, and for that, I will always be grateful. And more than that, we had fun together and understood each other, a little group of orchestra junkies.
I missed my family terribly, as I always do. I'm quite sure I came off as a total agoraphobic to most of the people I met, whether they liked me or not. I was glued to my phone when I was allowed, calling my mother just so that I could hear her voice, and know what they were all doing back at home. Hours away from them, I reveled in their ordinary activities and yearned to be back with them all week long.
I learned a lot though, so it was entirely worth it. My fingers are practically bleeding from playing so much and I'm finding myself looking up Holst and Elgar on wikipedia, after hearing about their lives during the daily lectures at camp. Music history really interests me. The ways that musicians have helped shape cultures are surprisingly important. They rally countries and rebel against tyrants and bring joy to those who have none. It made me proud to be among their ranks.

3 comments:

TYLER said...

Er, Logan at music camp. with you.


Glad you had a nice time :)

Emma said...

You're making me jealous and I don't even play an instrument.

You're title reminds me of something they teach us in driver's ed. Which is pretty much the only thing I've been doing for two weeks, besides exploiting America's obesity struggle and getting stuck on top of old sheds.

Demi said...

It's good to have you back Pip. :)