Thursday, June 18, 2009

That Dance Thing

Last night was my ninth grade dance. It totally exceeded my expectations, which were low, to say the least.

I was expecting bad music and even worse dancing. I envisioned sweaty freshmen trying to mingle. Deflating balloons. Gratuitous snogging. I thought my dress (Oh My God. My dress. I love it. So very much.) was going to untie or someone would trip on it and I'd be that girl who flashed everyone on prom night.

But it was none of that. Well, okay. I did have to cinch up my dress a couple times. And there was some noticeably bad dancing. But the music was really good. Not in my taste really. But the slow songs weren't too slow and the fast songs were truly good dancing songs.

I was so proud of my friends. They all looked so wonderful. And sophisticated. They opted for simple dresses (Or vests in Tyler's case) and they looked utterly beautiful. It was intimidating actually. To be seen with them.

Emma and Demi and I had a really lovely time beforehand too. We stayed at my house, instead of going out to eat. Mum and I (Well, mostly Mum) decorated her art room to look like an old fashioned dressing room. We had candles, and a screen and a mirror and mosquito netting over the couch. Mum put together little overnight kits for each of us, with tiny soap and deodorant and hair ties and travel toothbrushes.

While they were here, Emma did Demi's hair, and we listened to the Red Hot Chili Peppers and ate really, really good chocolate. Mum made pasta for dinner and it was delicious. It was very relaxed. We didn't really have any deadlines to meet. We took pictures out in my yard, and the weather was just perfect. We all had a lot of fun. It was my favorite part of the night.

After the dance, we all rode up to Tyler's house and stayed the night there. Tyler's mum is so adorable. Seriously. She was so excited for us. Some of the group tried to stay up all night, as is the tradition, but only one of us survived. I'm proud to say that I conked out at about one.
Because I am a wuss when it comes to sleep.

It was a really fun time. And it was even better because I didn't expect it to be. I hope all dances in high school are like this. I wonder...

3 comments:

That guy said...

some noticeably bad dancing hmmm... hahaha wow piper. so what was the bad dancing? But that dance was really amazing, I liked watching all the people even though there were some pretty bad grinding chains. Yeah...

KenzieJo said...

I am so glad you had a good time. Gives me hopes for my dance(if we have one). You looked so beautiful in your dress.

Kaitlin Backus said...

It's so good that you guys all had fun! It's so cool that your mom made her art room all fancy for you guys! I really want to see pictures. I've only seen the one tyler has posted. Well i suppose I'll get to see some next time I see Demi which I hope is soon.

Well your writing is lovely, as always! I'm glad the dance exceeded your expectations:)