Saturday, September 04, 2010

Beginning

I just want to warn you people. The posts aren't going to last. Their days are numbered. School is here, and with it, numerous obligations. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Working on some old and new pieces right now with cello. Sonata in A major by Franck is what I learned a few years ago. It's a beautiful piece, my favorite movement being the fourth. Very emotional. I like Jaqueline Du Pre's recording if you get it into your head to pick it up. The Lalo Cello Concerto in D minor is what I'm currently concentrating on and I'm learning the first movement of that right now. It's more dramatic than anything I have ever played before. Seriously, I didn't think a cello could make that much sound. Certainly not mine.
Going back to school is simultaneously exciting and wearying. I love to see people that I know, interesting funny focused people. But I've been a recluse for much of the summer and it makes it a little difficult to hold coherent conversations with people I haven't seen in a while. I'll get into the swing of things soon though. At least I'm hoping that's the case. As for the school work, I'm a little daunted. I'm starting to remember the nights of sprawling music theory homework. Of projects being finished at 3:00 in the morning. But it's all part of the process I suppose.

I watched the Princess and the Frog with my sister this morning. Have you seen it lately? It's adorable, one of the best Disney movies I've ever seen. By far my favorite Disney prince. I think the draw is the philandering, insulting bastard bit. But I'm just musing.

I also read this short story. Again. It's called All of Summer in a Day by Ray Bradbury. It is a remarkably well written and beautiful piece. It spans only a few hours, and yet encompasses so much. Please read it.

I'm looking forward to the changing of the season. The sun makes me want to shrivel up. But the rain makes me feel alive. And I'm looking forward to Halloween. I have a plethora of ideas for costumes. I think I may have decided well enough to actually start working on it.

3 comments:

Sean said...

The first movement of the Lalo is by far the most dramatic entrance to a piece I think i've ever heard/played. But it sounds great hah. Tyler wants to know why you were up until 3am.
Also, I'm not looking forward to college music theory. I barely know any as it is, I have no idea how i managed to pass the entrance test for the class.
Best of luck with that. And the other homework

Demi said...

Did you get the idea from the piece we read at camp to read that Ray Bradbury story again? I had never heard of him until camp this year. He must be pretty good. I loved what he had to say about wonder.

Unknown said...

I hope you post a picture of whoever you decide to be for Halloween. I'm curious now! I was Freida Kahlo last year (-;