Sunday, October 04, 2009

Update

So those first days/weeks of school have passed, and I'm settling. I know what times to catch the elusive "1" bus, so that I can avoid a truly ridiculous hill. I know that it's a waste of money to buy your coffee at Starbucks, when you can walk up the street to the convenience store and buy the same drink for a buck. I know how to spell some major chords, and I'm trying to learn the piano a little bit (it's an arduous process, I'm finding)
Symphony has started up again. We're playing stuff from movies for a Halloween concert we'll be doing in late October. Its' not anything I can really get behind. There's no organic quality to the music, because I know it all, and so I can't really find any way to connect with it. We're playing a Grieg and a Mozart though, for our real concert in November, and I like those. We're also playing a Walton for the same concert- but I can't say I'll ever like it very much.
There a lot of really talented people at my new school. It's daunting. I have a lot of homework, and am up late until ten most nights. But it's okay. The homework feels like I stuff I would be doing on my free time anyway: Brainstorm a character and answer forty-five personal questions about them. Practice the first page of a Martinu Duet. Listen to a contemporary song of your choice and identify the bridge. So even though it's still required it doesn't feel like it so much. I feel like I have a choice. It's really refreshing. But I'm so busy, what with symphony and all this homework, that I can't really look up.
I miss my old friends. My Emma is at her school, meeting new, exciting people without me and trying to figure out if her photography teacher is an impostor or not. I miss her down-to- earthness in the mornings and her quiet, creative brain. I know it can be the hardest thing to be alone in strange place, but I also know that if there is anyone who can handle it, it is her. She is one of the strongest people I know. It still doesn't keep me from missing her and wanting her to be around all the time.
Logan too. I don't have my ever-present human dartboard, and frankly, I'm starting to worry that all the malevolence in my person is going to pile up, and explode one of these days. I haven't kicked anyone in the shins in weeks. Months even.
And all the others. I hope I can see them soon.
My Father and I have been having discussions lately, about career choice. They're serious. I think, going to this art school scares him a little. It scares me. Each day, I fall more and more in love with what I am doing and what I am creating. And I know, that even though my whole heart is in it, and that I love it more than just about anything else, that it will likely never really make me a living, ever. It's a pessimistic outlook, I know. But I have to be realistic about it, or I will ruin that love I have for playing music or writing, or singing, or any artistic endeavor I pursue. To connect it with true failure would make it so much less for me. So I know I have to pick carefully, something that I will be happy to be doing, but not something that will never make me any money at all, or something that is not stable. I won't be miserable, but frankly, I won't probably have my dream job either. I don't need to be hugely successful, with big houses, and nice cars; I don't have expensive or materialistic goals really. But I want children, that I don't have to worry about feeding. I want education outside of school. I want to have time and the resources to play cello forever and write when I want to and draw and sing. I don't really think that can be achieved by choosing a wholly artistic career. I have to pick something that is needed acutely, that only I and a handful of others can achieve. I have to find that perfect fit.
And it's a tough thing to come to terms with. But I am willing. I have to be.

6 comments:

That guy said...

and what might you have to come to terms with?

signed
The Human DartBoard

Anonymous said...

Screw it. Do what you love. You can always adjust to the money, whether it is more or less. You can't adjust to the drudgery caused by "a plan". Plans never work.

Go ahead and tell Sean I said it. I'm not afraid!

TYLER said...

What you drink from the convenience store is not coffee.

It is warm vanilla milk with coffee flavor.


for crying out lout it is white!

Anonymous said...

who says you cannot do both? have something stable and also do what you love to do. and if you feel comfortable enough with your arts to shed the stable job, do it!

I think about this question everyday for myself. I am glad I am not alone.

Anne Marie said...

Hey, it's Anne Marie. Um, wow lots to say. Beauitfully written Piper, it is so much better than I would ever been able to do, but I think we've already realized your tallents for writing what you feel will always and always have surpassed mine. I know you're busy with your new life and friends and school, and it might be a month before you read this, but I just wanted to reconnect with you or something. I miss you all so much right now. You, North, Abbey, Megan, Sean. I started to write again. Badly of course, but its still fun.I know this is public and everyone can see it, but I thought you would chech your blog before your email so I decided to write you here first. So email me when you have the time. Or call. Or whatever. I'll always have spare time so whenever you can, it would be great to hear from you.
Anne Marie
PS Check out "The Call" by Regina Spektor. You might like it :)

KenzieJo said...

Piper, I believe you could easily balance your life to live comfortably and happily.Your creativity and talent is something that could last through your life and be a huge part of it. The only thing that really matters in life is happiness.
-KenzieJo
Ps: Happy Halloween!